Re: Ford electronic distributors

To: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>, "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Ford electronic distributors
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:03:47 -0800
Thanks, Theo

As you can tell by the model years, my exposure to the Ford units is
many years old, and if there was a coil crammed in that V-8 Mustang II
it was hiding pretty good.  I never imagined it released any more than
one spark per firing, but that box was as big as thee CD unit I used to
have (which did have a coil).

I'd be willing to wager that the "resistance wire" you mention is a
replacement for the ceramic resistor used in our cars to drop running
voltage to 9 volts after allowing a higher voltage coil initiation
during start mode (12 volts), when the ignition key is in the run
position, just like our stock resistor, wiring on the Tiger.

Being unsure, I did say "and release it in a very large surge through
external, or internal voltage transformers (coils), creating a huge spark".

It was not bad, compared to the standard design, and mine was many years
old before quitting on me.  It was then I found so many "no label"
cheapy replacements, and at least 2 different Ford modules, with 3 or 4
wires. Not interchangeable.

The use of a magnetically sensitive semiconductor (Pertronix) is indeed
similar to the multi-pole center iron sender, as used in the Ford
distributor, on a functional basis.

My only interest in the Ford design is the "arc-free" large cap, which
snaps on to a coupling collar to the old distributor body, to limit
arcing inside the cap.   Steve Sage may (or may not) have learned this
lesson.  I am unsure as to whether this will solve all the issues, so I
procrastinate on the P II as the P I keeps running, and running,..... :-)

I wouldn't think the Duraspark had a tach issue, simply out of the time
period that the units were made, but it is good to know that someone has
their firm experienced grip on this.

I know I may offer some aged experience which is incomplete. Please
excuse any errors of omission.  I'll have to eat those of commission.
(or "mis-spoke", as they say in politics now.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

Steve

--