Exhaust Cross-Pipe

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Exhaust Cross-Pipe
From: "Wayne Pierzga" <W_Pierzga@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:48:19 -0500
The crossover in Larry's article is slick. I have taken a slightly different
approach which I believe is cleaner.

One starts with a standard exhaust set up connecting to the headers. Holes
are cut into each exhaust pipe to connect the crossover as shown in Larry's
design. The crossover is then welded in place - weld is not completed on top
of exhaust. The exhaust pipes are then cut cleanly with a saw (I used an
air-saw) about 3 inches before they pass into the chassis exhaust cut-outs.
The crossover "assembly" is then finished welded and dressed. The completed
crossover is then refitted by bolting to the flange on the headers and via a
pair of stainless band clamps at the back end.

With this approach it is quite easy to remove the engine/transmission from
beneath the car when required. There are no flanges on the crossover pipe
making for a cleaner assembly. It is also easier to construct than one with
flanges.

I have never bottomed out on the crossover pipe on my Mk II but have had
difficulty with the mufflers...... especially on speed bumps.

Wayne