RE: gt40p heads

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: gt40p heads
From: "Randall Antosiak" <randya@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:20:34 -0800
I am running GT40 heads, don't know if they are the "p" model.  No problem
with the header fit, and stock valve covers work so you can keep a stock
looking engine with them.   They come painted black, so I painted them blue
to match stock color.

But, you probably cannot install them unless you are also rebuilding your
block.

1) The coolant passages on the heads do NOT match the block.  I was
rebuilding the block anyway, so I just had the shop drill holes in the block
to match the coolant passage locations in the heads.  I have a 5 bolt 289
block.
2) Valves are really big, don't remember exact size.  But, with any
reasonable pistons the valves are not going to clear the pistons, so it
takes some work to notch out the piston heads to clear the valves.
- Randy Antosiak