RE: Brakes Update #2

To: "'Curt'" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>, "'Tiger'" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Brakes Update #2
From: "MSN" <w_pierzga@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:49:50 -0500
Curt:

I have not followed all the correspondence on your brakes problem so the
following may be a duplicate.

The rear brakes are auto-adjusting. This is accomplished by a nut with a
counter-turning screw. The brake shoes fit into the screw head. Part of the
nut is a gear that is driven by a cam that, if I recall correctly, is
attached to the parking brake drive inside the drum.

The purpose of this auto-adjusting mechanism is to keep the shoe close to
the drum as the shoes/drum wear so that your brake peddle throw remains
roughly constant.

This mechanism needs to be properly lubricated (I use anti-seize) or it will
malfunction. The malfunction is usually either it doesn't work and peddle
throw grows to the point where the rear brakes may not fully engage, or the
brake shoes will get stuck fully engaged - as I suspect is the case you are
facing.

To release the brakes you need to get to the top of the back of the brake
backing plate. You should find a square-head bolt. Turning this bolt will
release pressure the auto-adjusting mechanism puts on the shoes and should
allow you to turn/remove the drum.

Be careful removing the drum - don't use a hammer directly on the drum as it
will break. Ideally, releasing this pressure will allow you to easily shimmy
the drum off. If not then be sure to put a wooden block between the hammer
and the drum to prevent breaking the drum and tap the drum off working side
to side.

Once removed, it should be obvious where the problem is. Suggest you first
check that all springs/clips are properly installed and in good condition
(Rick at SS should be able to help with replacements). I suggest you
recondition the brake adjuster mechanism and lubricate it with anti-seize
when reassembling (don't use grease or oil as it can drip and contaminate
the shoes).

Note you can clean a reuse the shoes if they are in good condition. I prefer
to use LestoilR Cleaner & Stain Remover. It is a concentrated grease remover
that cleans up with water and leaves nothing behind (wear gloves).

Good luck,

Wayne