Re: Brakes and things

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brakes and things
From: bmelusky@netscape.net
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:56:20 -0500
Good point, Bob.

Joey, you will find this out when you read up on the suubject in advance( and
this is a good reason why), but in the front calipers, unlike other brake
parts, the BORE is not all that important, but the piston is.  The reason for
this is a rubber seal nests inside the bore and the piston rides on the seal,
not on the bore. If the chromed piston is corroded, you can buy new ones from
stainless steel from Sunbeam Specialties. If you have a hard time getting the
pistons out, time to go to the web site and do a search for the original tip on
getting frozen pistons out of calipers without splitting the caliper as Bob
pointed out.

>A reminder.  The maintenance manual specifically notes that the front caliper
>housing should not be split.  Unfortunately I read this after splitting the
>calipers.  Fortunately I was able to find replacement o-ring seals.  Brakes
>are working fine so far.  If you do split the caliper housings, be sure to
>properly torque the assembly bolts.
>
>Happy Holidays
>Bob Haynes, San Diego

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.