On the Subject of "Joey"

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: On the Subject of "Joey"
From: <mjsutter@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:23:35 -0800
Listers:

Mark L's comment about making sure the damn thing will stop is where the kid's
efforts should be focused if this is for real.

The car should be jacked up, put on stands and every wheel bearing, brake
component and moving part should be pulled off, cleaned, checked and replaced
if needed. My advise on what to buy to make this thing faster? How about a
solvent tank, or a new mower. He's gonna have to mow a lot of lawns to keep
this project going.

Not knowing the condition or history of this car, I think its risky for anyone
other than his parents to advise this kid on which way to proceed with
returning this car to the road.

My advise: Cars are extremely dangerous pieces of machinery, especially old
sports cars with bad brakes, hard tires and V-8s. As a 16-18 year-old kid, I
made many mistakes with motor vehicles. Many of those mistakes involved
functioning motors and non-functioning support systems such as brakes,
steering and suspension. Hopefully this kid Joey has a higher level of
maturity than I did at his age. In typical teenage fashion, I displayed plain
old disregard for the rules of the road, and other peoples property. I wrecked
every car my parents let me drive, then I wrecked the ones they wouldn't let
me drive, then I wrecked my own.

 All cars can be lethal in inexperienced or experienced hands, V-8s with short
wheelbases especially. To make sure this story ends happily, he should keep it
stock, make sure that its safe to operate, and learn to slide it with the 164
H.P. lump before adding the nitrous bottle. If he does not respect this car,
it will bite him squarely on the ass, and it will hurt.

Sorry for raining on the parade.

MS