Electric water pumps

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electric water pumps
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:56:49 EST
A few months back I suggested that electric water pumps might be something we
should be looking at to help with those nasty overheating problems.
A recent issue of Hot Rod Mag. I think sheds some light on the subject.  And
i quote..."...mechanically driven water pumps flow in excess of 80 gpm, while
a good aftermarket, high performance mechanical can exceed 100 gpm. A heavy
duty 12 volt electric pump at best flows 55 gpm."

The balance of the article goes on to explain that if someone has an
overheating problem at idle speeds then an electric might be an alternative to
look at
because a mechanical won't hit that 80 gpm until the rpm's are above 2,000.

So, if you have over heating problems at anything above idle speeds, an
electric pump might not be what you need.  There was no discussion of using
both
pumps.  They seem to be in favor of an electric fan for low speed heat problems.
Mark L.