rear end repair

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: rear end repair
From: "Frank P. Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:21:18 -0800
During the removal or the Tiger rear end one of those bendable metal straps
that hold the brake line broke off.  I'm sure I can weld a new one on but
I've heard that welding on the rear end tubes can tweak them and cause
bearing wear issues.  This is a pretty small job requiring relatively low
heat and it probably won't be an issue but I thought I'd ask and see if
those of you in the know had an opinion on this.

Also, I installed new axle bearings and resealed the ends of the axles
several years ago.  I have yet to put lube in the rear end since then.
There is some grease in the bearings of course.  Today I noticed that there
was a small amount of some heavy oil on the backing plate.   It looks like
some of it seeped past the castle nut which has not been tightened to spec
yet.  However, some also looks like it must have come from the axle seal or
the gasket between the thrust plate and backing plate.  Very strange, I used
new gaskets and sealed the heck out of the thrust plates and the axle seals
are new.  Since assembling the rear end it probably has about 100 yards on
it total.  WTF?

Frank