TIGER DAILMER MYSTERY

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TIGER DAILMER MYSTERY
From: Caseyh4312@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:21:39 EST
ok here is what i asked the guy,  and what he responded with.
where did u get this car from?? And who has put in the engine/ other  work
that has been done? Where is the original 260?? And where did you find
information that suggests a Daimler V8 was first tried in the Alpine V8
conversion to
become a Tiger? Please try to answer all my ?s thanks  JOEY"

I bought it from the guy who had done the work, for some  interior parts -
though it didnt have what I wanted LOL! In addition to the link  in the above
answer, here's a quote from a bit of Mike Taylor's book i found on  the web - "
John Panks, for example, had several meetings with the Rootes board  and
suggestions such as the possible use of the Humber Hawk engine had been
discussed.
In the event, two other units were tried. Don Tarbun (a member of  Rootes'
development department) recalls, "We were given the opportunity to  install
either the four cylinder 1600 cc Alfa Romeo engine or the Daimler 2.5  litre V8
unit, with the explicit instructions that the substitute engine had to  be
fitted with the minimum of body modifications. Alas, neither unit proved
satisfactory and the idea was dropped. " As I say, the guy had some drawings
and  all
sorts I think, and I'll happily give the winner his email address. And the
original donor - a 250 not a 260 - ? No idea

I bought the car off the guy who put the engine in. The donor car Ive no
idea - probably a 250 not a 260 though? Not sure.

He had done a lot  of research on it, but there is at least one reference
online to the first  protoitypes having Humber 2.3, then Daimler engines -
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:6C7PlVDyxoQJ:www.theautomobile.ndirect.
co.uk/PDF2002/02_09_34.pdf+sunbeam+tiger+prototype+daimler&hl=en%20target=nw

Cant  get that to open fully, but I think if you download it there's a piece
about  the first prototypes there. But the guy who did it got quite a bit of
detail, because he was telling me how he had to alter the steering rods as
per the prototype to clear the new engine.

Has anyone ever heard of where this  came from? Or what kind of other car did
this perticular engine come  from?

Joey Hiykel  1966 Tiger MK1A
B382001072 LRXFE JAL#  661104