Re: Irreplaceable? - financially yes

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Irreplaceable? - financially yes
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:58:23 -0800 (PST)
Curt,
I beleive you GREATLY underestimate the cost to pay professionals to
fabricate a car from scratch and 80's over-valueations are not likely
to return any time soon. Your theoretical Cobra insured at half the
$150k value would hardly cover the cost of a complete (concours
style)restoration on a decent, fairly complete car to start with
(again, paying pros to do it). I can verify this as fact with receipts
if you are interested. Regarding the "air-Cobra" you reference... would
it have sold as a real Cobra at the same market price after completion?
If not, then that is reason to insure an original car at full value.

My small car collection is among the assets that will eventually be
sold off in retirement (except the Tiger), so if a fire totalled all of
them, I'd be counting on full market value from the insurance and I
wouldn't be very interested in going through the trouble of re-creating
any of them from the ashes. If Tiger values go up high enough, I'd sell
mine take the $$$ to buy something I can enjoy more without the
financial exposure. I no longer push the Tiger @ 10/10s on the street
or track (it's down to about 7.5/10ths) because the risk/consequence
exposure is far too great with the appraised value no where near the
cost of the restoration. By contrast, I could total my '91 Miata and
not loose much sleep over it... and it gets driven at or very near
10/10ths every time I drive it.

Stephen Waybright

http://my.yahoo.com