Re: Throttle Shaft wear

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Throttle Shaft wear
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:48:54 -0800
Tim is a reliable source.  Some carb designs have shaft seals in the
carb body that can be replaced if worn. Some have replacement throttle
shafts that need split screws, attaching plates to rod, to be removed to
put the throttle plates on the new shafts (my MG and Jag SU carbs), but
new screws are needed, and must be spread to lock.  Lower price range
carbs do not allow for changes at this level.  If your shaft is worn,
and cannot be replaced, air will enter the shaft into the vacuum area
and disrupt your mixture.

A favorite test is to spray a fluid around carb areas that are suspected
of leaking. Gasoline is NOT recommended.  "Starter Spray" in cold areas,
and even WD 40 can do the job.  While idling, lightly spray the suspect
area.  An increase in rpm means it got sucked in, enriching the
mixture.  This is also good for gasket areas of the carb and intake
manifold.

Steve

--
-----