Girling Brake Servos

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Girling Brake Servos
From: Rollright@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:43:22 EST
Mr. Steve Laifman writes:

"......
There is also a Lockheed design that has all cast iron cylinders and has
been used successfully, although it does not have the
boost ratio of the  Girling (which varies between Alpine and Tiger versions).

My italics and underline.

>From research, I found (I thought) that earlier Tigers I's and early IA's
had 5" canisters and subsequent 1A's and 2's had 7".

Could you or someone comment on the variability of the boost ratio of  Alpine
and Tiger boosters as stated above, please. And how to identify  same.

BTW, I'm rebuilding a 5" and a 7" right now. The 5" is from a friend's  Tiger
and the 7" I bought from a guy who had it laying on the floor of his shop.
No idea of where it came from. When I bought my Tiger in 1976, it had a 5" in
it, but it should have had a 7". The original must have gone south before I
got  it.

Had necessary sleeving done by a shop I heard about in an Auto Restorer in
St. Paul, MN. Great magazine and shop. Previously they sleeved the clutch
slave.  All they do is stainless. See if THAT wears out again!

As always, best regards to a great bunch.

Jim Armstrong
#382002083