rear end stuff

To: "Tiger List \(Tiger List\)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear end stuff
From: "Frank P. Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:29:29 -0800
Hi,

When we set up the Dana for the Tiger we checked end float and had .007".
That was with somewhat dry bearings, no hub or outer seal.  Now, with the
bearings packed with grease and the hubs and seals installed I only get
.002"-.003" of end float.  The spec is .006" to .008".  What could have
changed?  Is it the grease?  Should I be concerned?  I made sure to set the
bearing races by tapping the axles and am 100% sure everything went back
together properly, or at least the same as it was when we originally checked
the end float.

I then noticed that with the hubs on and nuts torqued to 125 ft-lb one side,
the passenger side hub, sticks out approximately .040" farther than the
other side relative to the backing plate.  When we set the end float we
balanced the shims as well as we could but given the limited shim
availability we probably have .010"-.020" more on one side than the other.
I'm not sure where the other .020" of offset came from.  Should I be
concerned?

Frank, slightly concerned in Cloverdale.

B9471116