Re: Brake Booster Rebuild Places

To: MSN <w_pierzga@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Booster Rebuild Places
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:07:44 -0800
Wayne,

While I have no issue with your suggestions on a smooth vacuum canister,
the leak past the leather seal between the canister walls and the large
piston is NOT the reason for loss of fluid.  It might be the reason for
low pressure differential across the disc that is driving the boost.

The seal that leaks is the small one ( ~ 5/8 diameter)  in the cast
hydraulic cylinder and the long shaft attached to the canister piston.
This is the final barrier between the fluid and the vacuum differential
across the large piston.   Once the hydraulic fluid gets past that shaft
seal, it will fill eventually fill the large canister on the hydraulics
side, or perhaps by-pass the leather seal into the intake manifold (and
out the exhaust).   The damage was done back at the push rod seal on the
way out of the hydraulic cylinders.

Doesn't hurt to make the canister nice, but that is not the prime
failure for fluid loss.  Shouldn't be any either side of the piston, anyway.

Steve

--
-----

Steve Laifman