Re: 260 cam specs at .050 inch

To: wittsend@jps.net
Subject: Re: 260 cam specs at .050 inch
From: Sjhcobra1@cs.com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:30:44 EST
Tom and others:

Thanks for your comments.

The reason for my question was that I am rebuilding a 260 and had purchased a
cam with 216 degrees intake and exhaust duration at .050" with lift of about
.447. Using a dial indicator we found that with flat top pistons and roller
rockers we were getting .025" valve to piston clearance...which is not good
(will lead to bent valves and worse), should be around .100". Rather than buy a
different cam, set it up and remeasure I thought that I could estimate a
profile
that would work based upon comparing the stock profile with its resulting
clearance to the 216/216.

The long and short of it all is that we took a WAG, bought a 204/214 cam and
obtained the .100" intake clearance last night.

As you all have probably experienced there is very little trade knowledge
especially with cam manufacturer's when it comes to the 260 so you have to fend
for yourself, but I am learning.

Again thanks for your help!

Steve Halbrook