RE: Wheel offsets and backspacing

To: itswonderful@comcast.net, rpalmer@ucsd.edu
Subject: RE: Wheel offsets and backspacing
From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:22:44 -0500
My head is spinning from this discussion,  I researched this last year
before changing my wheels.

Frank you are correct...a funky Lo Rider with wheels sticking out would be
an example of an extremely "negative" wheel (both in offeset and style ;-)
in my opinion...and not positive.

If backspace is less than the wheel centerline the offset is negative
If backspace is greater than the wheel centerline the offset  is positive
(like on most front wheel drive cars)

Visit this webpage...
http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

it has a few tips and drawings...and a chart (you need to convert from mm if
you want inches for offset)...

On my Tiger I had the 14" Minator wheels from VB and they were 5.5" wide
with about 4.125" of backspacing which was just about perfect for the front
of the car. So the offset of the wheel was  .875" (22mm-23mm
positive)...with more of the rim closer to the frame.

My 15" Panasports are 6" in front with about the same 22mm offset but since
the rim is .5" wider the front wheels stick slightly farther out, but still
acceptable.

Now a 6" wide wheel (including the outer lip it's actually about 7" wide)
with 3.5" of backspacing would have neither "negative" or "positive" it
would be actually "neutral"?

This is something that tends to be clear as mud...???

My disclaimer is that I hope I got this right but there are no guarantees!

Time for bed to rest my head,
Paul