Re: Fuel pump advice

To: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump advice
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:02:34 -0800
Dave and Tigers,

With experience with SU fuel pumps since 1952, including the MG-TD, the
Jaguar, and the Tiger (the Alpine was mechanical), it has a couple of
features worth considering.

I used to have to jump out of my MG in the middle of freeway traffic,
throw open the bonnet, and whack the SU with a Bumpershoot (umbrella)
when it stopped.  You had to keep cleaning the points with the specified
business card.  The Jaguar, at least, gave access to the pump from
inside the car with a metal plate you could snap open under the carpet.
Saved getting wet - these things always seem to happen in the rain.

I am pleased as punch that my Tiger SU (knock on skinned leather from
the Skinner's Union) has behaved very well.

The system is good in that it fills the float bowl before you try to
start it.  The pump diaphragm seems reliable.  The electrical points,
however, probably still need that Business Card, but it is accessible
from the non battery door on the rear shelf.

I would think a well designed electronic transistor switch could make
this an ideal part, and the technology is over 40 years old for this
circuit.  The parts have improved in durability and reliability as
well.  If the rebuild is well designed, manufactured, and uses good
parts, there is no reason it shouldn't out-last the car (diaphragm
replacement not withstanding.)

If Theo has looked at one, I am sure you can get an expert judgment on
this.

Some worry about the fuel pump being over the muffler (along with the
lines and couplings).  I have not heard of a fire here, but some things
you don't hear about.

Any experience with these modified SU's out there?

Steve