water, water everywhere...

To: "tiger list" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: water, water everywhere...
From: "Sharon Mountjoy" <mtjoy@telis.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:26:36 -0800
Hi Group,

Okay, were into spring and I thought it somewhat timely so I wanted to share
this information for what it's worth.  The cooling system of our cars is the
topic of this meandering.

I remember (distantly) hearing debate about which water to use in automotive
cooling systems.  Geeze?  I've always tried to use "distilled water" because I
didn't want all that "crud" ( I love technical terms) in a basically closed
system.

Many years ago I was introduced to a company (ACS) that makes a number of
automotive chemical products.  They have a product, HyperCool-- much like Red
Line's Water Wetter"-- that when added to a cooling system, will significantly
increase heat transfer.

So, at a "road block" because I"m ready to change my cooling system fluids and
really didn't know which water would be the best to use in my applications, I
contacted the company's principal  (Jay Ross) a little embarrassed I didn't
have this already sorted out. Jay is very approachable and has been "spot-on"
in the past with his recommendations and products.  The following is his
response to my inquiry regarding the use of "which" water to use.

Contact Jay if you have further questions or commentary regarding your
specific application.  Hope this information is of help.

Darrell

"...Regarding the water, if you are running straight water coolant with the
HyperCool, my best advice is to use SOFT WATER.   Distilled/deionized water
can cause some issues over a period of time.  When water is
distilled/deionized, the impurities are STRIPPED from the water molecules,
leaving them electrochemically imbalanced.   This water will actually strip
electrons from metals in the cooling system, which will, over time, cause
damage.  When water is softened, on the other hand, the impurities are
EXCHANGED with a Sodium ion from the salt molecule.  This leaves the water
pure, and also electrochemically balanced.   A much better choice.

In order, here are the best choices of water:

Softened water
Reverse Osmosis Water
Tap Water
Deionized/Distilled water

For further info, please refer to the FAQ section of the web site.   Or, if
you have any remaining questions, give contact me directly at
norosion@aol.com

Glad to hear you're still running the Tiger!   What a neat car!

Thanks for the opportunity to be of service.   We appreciate your business.

Jay Ross
Applied Chemical Specialties, Inc.
www.No-Rosion.com "