Malfunctioning fuel pump

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Malfunctioning fuel pump
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:29:24 -0600
Hey, listers:

Well, my good buddy here in town with the late-numbered Mk 1 is experiencing a
problem that has us both baffled.  About a year ago, he bought a stock fuel
pump from a major Sunbeam supplier here in the U.S.  He wasn't necessarily
having trouble with his aftermarket pump but, not only was he interested in
putting the car back to original in this area, the aftermarket pump was a
rotary type and ran all the time, making an audible electronic hum while
driving.  He also took the opportunity to remove the 2 bbl Holley carb that
had been on the car for years and purchased an original Autolite 2 bbl unit to
go in it's place.

As sometimes happens, and since the car was running at the time, he took his
time gathering parts and has, within the last few weeks, begun to replace
these items.  Once he got the carb and fuel pump installed and got everything
the way he wanted it, he took it out for a drive.  The car ran great...until
it ran out of fuel.  Tapping on the fuel pump (which we've all had to do...)
was the only way he got it back home.  After determining that the fuel pump
would run long enough to fill up the float bowl of the carb, he proceeded to
open up the fuel pump.  After checking everything thoroughly, he determined
that, under power, the points would only close.  They would not open back up
again, thereby locking up the pump.  Nothing else appears to be wrong other
than that.

I must admit that I've never had to get into one of these before so I'm not a
heck of a lot of help to him.  He's having a hard time with it and, of course,
any warranty the pump had has run out since it took him so long to get around
to installing it.

Is there some kind of an adjustment that can be made on the points when this
occurs?  If so, what do you adjust?  Being a brand new pump, I'm kind of
surprised that he's having this kind of trouble.  It makes me a little nervous
about installing the new original pump I have for my car!  As usual, any help
for my long-time Tiger-owning friend will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE