Re: Spark plugste

To: Bill Rogers Motorsport Memories <milward@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Spark plugste
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:34:15 -0700
Speaking of Spark Plugs,

When I got my new '66 Porsche 911S, with the European hounds tooth seat
centers, I was really astonished at it's performance.  On- ramps to the
freeway were a legal place to stand on it, at least to freeway merge
speeds.  Traffic was better then, so 65 (or so) was tolerated.  Now,
some freeways are running 75 MPH standard, with a 65 speed limit!

I visited the doctor, about a month after delivery, with complaints
about a sore neck.  This is a bit unusual in a young man.  The doctor
diagnosed "whip lash", and prescribed aspirin and less lead in the
foot.  No kidding, it really snapped your neck.  I am sure the Tiger is
doing the same, but the neck hurts all the time, now, anyway.

What does this have to do with spark plugs?  Well, I had to replace the
OEM AC plugs every 3,000 miles because they were fouling out.  Plug
inspection should gasoline, but the dealer wanted to sell me the new
Bosch platinum point plugs at $10.00 each.  This was at a time when
plugs were $0.50.   I opted for the new NGK plugs with the copper
section in the electrode.  They would automatically change length with
heat and, if you got the right model and gap for your car, it would
compensate for heat range.

Result,  immediate change to 10,000 miles before fouling.  With a newly
developed capacitive discharge ignition installed, with corresponding
gap change, the life was doubled to 20,000 miles.

Don't know the story, today, but it's worth a look.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/index.asp?nav=10000&country=US
<http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/index.asp?nav=10000&country=US>

___
Steve Laifman