Steering Rack (previously Spec. Racer Tires)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Rack (previously Spec. Racer Tires)
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:52:05 -0700
>  The Tiger was in the air on jack-stands and the guy who drives the car in
> races for us came by to look at our progress.  He wiggled the steering
wheel
> and announced, "This is too stiff.  I don't think I can feel the tires with
>it this stiff."

  As I recall a long while back someone had stated that tightening the rack
without the weight on the tires was not a good idea. Crossmember flexing
caused the rack to bind once the car was back on the ground. Hence, adjusting
the rack with the car on jackstands might cause complications when back on the
ground. Binding as well as leaking at the tube ends can potentially occur.
  I'm not sure this would apply to all cars, but before a problem is corrected
one should check to make sure it exist in normal conditions. On the other hand
given all the movement that occurs in the front end "normal" may never be
defined!   Anyway..., Buck I hope that regardless of the condition when
installed that it works well for you. In my case I I did tighten the rack in a
weighted condition. Then I put it back up on jackstands. Hummm..... maybe that
is where the mysterious leak was coming from???
Tom Witt