I need some help...

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: I need some help...
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:46:45 -0500
Hey, guys:

I'm in dire need of some info concerning Alpine wheels.  I have a 1960 Series
I vintage racer on which I'm still running the wire wheels (competition
Dayton's).  I'm in the process of switching over to bolt-on wheels but I need
some info first to make sure that I get the correct width and offset of alloy
wheels.  I had some Panasports ordered, but found out today that, after 6
MONTHS of waiting, they screwed up my order and I won't be getting them after
all (STAY AWAY FROM PANASPORT...THAT IDIOT OUT THERE AT THE WAREHOUSE IS
CLUELESS!!!!!)

First of all, can somebody tell me where to look to find the original width of
the wheels for a Series I and a Series II?  Although my car is a Series I, I
am allowed in my class to run a 1" wider wheel than stock.  I had been told
earlier that the stock width for bolt-on wheels was 4.5".  I also stepped out
to my storage building and measured my stock Tiger wheels and had found that
4.5" was correct.  After measuring the original wires from the Series I
however, I found them to be just a touch over 4" wide, while my racing Dayton
wires are 4.5" wide.  The factory workshop manual that I have for the Series I
also says that the wheel spec is "4J X 15," whatever the heck that means.  I
figured that would mean 4" wide and 15" in diameter but that can't be right
(at least the diameter part...).

One other very important aspect concerns the offset of the stock steel wheels.
I'm aware that the track in the front is 2.5" wider than the rear and, by
running a 1" wider wheel, I don't want to get into a situation where I end up
fouling the front tires on the fenders (my car has been lowered significantly,
although there is not currently a clearance problem with the stock wire
wheels).  I'm not as concerned about it in the back since there is ample room
and I can run spacers behind the wheels to adjust the track in the rear.  Can
anybody tell me what the stock offset measurements are on a steel-wheeled
Series I or II Alpine?  Does anybody out there have experience running
something like a wider Minilite, Minator or Superlite on their Alpine?  As
usual, any help would be appreciated as I plan on starting to call for price
and availability on the aforementioned brands of wheels tomorrow.

Thanks for your kind help,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B9006857LRX