Rear axle ratios follow-up

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear axle ratios follow-up
From: "Travis Hall" <tigerboy65@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:13:18 -0400
You may recall I was whining about my axle ratio about a month ago. I had
advised that the previous owner stated the car had a 4.11 posi unit.

On some listers advise, I finally got around to checking. With the car on
jack stands I got under and marked the driveshaft and a tire each with a
piece of tape, then spun the driveshaft with my hand. The results are
approximate of course. As it turns out the ratio is about 3.73:1.  And yes,
it is a posi unit (both tires rotating forward when the driveshaft is
spinning).

I am running 195/60 HR 14 tires on 14" panasport rims and can definitely say
this gear ratio is too low for the stock 4-speed.  My guess is that it's
about perfect for a 5-speed.

FYI - It is lots of fun from stoplight to stoplight, but I would suggest
something closer to 3.3:1 for more pleasurable driving on the expressway.

IMHO,
Travis
B9472584