Re: carb questions

To: James Pickard <geowiz.sgy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: carb questions
From: Larry Paulick <lpaulick@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:30:58 -0400
Jim, regardless of what carb you have or put on your car, it has to be
adjusted.  The chances of an out of the box carb being tuned to your car
are very slim to none.

So, is your present carb bad, what does it do or not that you don't like.

You have several choices.

Buy a Holley book and do it your self.  It's not all that bad, including
rebuilding the carb, which is essentially cleaning the carb, inspecting
the parts, and reassemble with new minor parts and gaskets.

Then you adjust the carb, as explained in the Holley book, which is
available in most large book stores or on line.

Second, have someone do this for you.  Dyno tuning is the preferred way,
as they will max your carb to your car, with the proper jets, and vacuum
secondary adjustments as well, if you have a vacuum secondary of course.

They will also adjust the timing, distributor advance, and set the plug
gap.  Of course this assumes that your engine, and the electrical
components are in good shape.  When was the last time you changed your
plug wires.

A place that does dyno tuning will most likely be able to rebuild your
carb if necessary.

I don't know where you live, but ask the local hot rod shops for
recommendations.

Going to a local garage, can be where you take a chance, since you don't
know how good their work is till after.  Get recommendations, as carbs
are not that common anymore.

Now, if you still want to put on a new carb, go to Summit for prices and
selection.  They will help you over the phone for size, type and brand.
The new Demon, which is a Holley replacement and was not out when I did
my car, is a nice alternative, has easier adjustments built in, and a
little better design as far as flow.

This is not as hard as geophysics, for sure.

Good Luck.

Larry