Eurkea I found

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Eurkea I found
From: 65Tiger@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 06:29:23 +0000
Copper....
I've been revamping my engine compartment which required removing and
installing the 5-way valve.  On reinstalling, two lines just continued to not
seal.  I've torqued on them in the past and they've sealed (reluctantly) The
maximum recommended torque is 6-8 ft.lb.  This time... not.  My neighbor tells
me brass fittings can only seal a number of times and the brass seat becomes
compressed to where a (compression) seat is no longer achieveable.  As I
installed four new lines into these two ports and torqued way too much, I began
to consider this.  I suspect my 5-way has been reconnected far past its design
life.  I called SS to check on a bone yard replacement, not available at the
moment.  I needed to make a new oil pressure line so I went to Royal Brass in
San Jose and took care of that.  I asked if they had a 4 or 5 way valve and
explained my problem.  They brought out small dished copper washers... I
immediately saw they fit the valve and compress better than brass.  wow!   This
could bring extra life to my well used part.  I realize there are pluses and
minuses to this.  I've tried to find a new or used 5-way splitter without
success.  The copper washer compresses more than brass. And installation -
allignment is tricky.  If it is not located properly it could block the
passage.   I'd like to have a new unobtanium 5-way, perfect lines and perfect
seals.  This may be an alternative to an older systems with non replaceable
parts.  Taking it to a conventional shop isn't going to provide many options.
What have other owners done with this problem where a good seal is difficult to
impossible to achieve?  Neighbor suggested the splitter could be remachined to
renew its seats, and would require a special tool and set up.  Royal Brass says
that copper washers are routinely used to fix old hydraulic brakes systems
where new replacement parts are NLA.  Comments?
Curtis Fisher
B9470844