TWFSWB's Firs Public Exposure

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: TWFSWB's Firs Public Exposure
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:10:32 -0700
This past Saturday, the World's Fastest Sunbeam (Wannabe) made the trip
to El Mirage in the Southern California Desert. The trip was quick and
hot, on the way back the truck's air temp gage hit 127 degrees. The dry
lake bed was in the 90's but there was humidity making for a higher heat

The Sunbeam got in the Tech Inspection line and waited it's turn. When
Jim and Mike (or was it Jim and Jim) came to inspect the car, I
explained to them what I was looking for: that is, have I missed
something that is required by the rule book that I have not adequately
covered? I explained that I might need the extra time to correct any
deficiencies before Word of Speed in mid September. I also explained
that I was waiting on my fire suit, my  helmet and safety belts so there
was no need to wast their time out in the sun.

My experience was VERY positive. I could not have asked for more
informed or caring people to look over the car. They started at the rear
of the car and worked forward. They noticed that I had no push bar, but
also noted that per the rule book for me it was not required. However,
it would be very good to have. I agreed and jotted that down. They
looked at the chute mount and made no comment. They looked at the
trailing link restraint system and had no comment. They looked into the
trunk with no comment. Jim climbed into the cockpit and checked it out
pretty well and I demonstrated how the switches were layed out and what
my priority was in shutting the system down normally and in an
emergency. I showed how the parachute release works and how th engine
fire bottle is immediately accessible from the chute release. I showed
the same for the driver fire bottle release. Jim mentioned that when I
get in and suited up that I should make the arm restraint for the left
arm fairly short to prevent my hand from getting outside the body and
that the right restraint should just barely let me reach the master cut
off switch. I thought this was a great suggestion. They looked at the
fire bottle mount, and the water injection system. They checked to make
sure that the wheels responded to the turn input from the steering
wheel. The hood was opened and I pointed out the pan/header fire nozzles
and the extra nozzle by the throttle body to cover the fuel rails. They
turned the wheels lock to lock and mentioned that I needed to add a bit
more clearance between the left front tire and fender lip. Right side
was good to go. They looked under the front of the car. Jim looked hard
at the hod pins I had made and suggested that something additional may
be required. That while the hood opens to the front during a spin lots
of air gets under the hood putting the pins under quite a bit of stress.
I agreed that I could add something. Jim also mentioned that with the
short wheel base and 850 hp this was going to be a fun ride...fun in the
sense it was going to be a handful. He suggested I start looking for
weight and where to put it. He also said I would most likely need the
rear spoiler...all things I had already decided that were going to be
needed.

When I was standing there along side the car, Jim and Mike (Jim) quietly
conferred and said, "I don't see one single thing wrong". I thought that
was significant and had Jim notate that in my log book. I know that each
event is a start over but this meant something to me personally. I have
worked hard on this car, peppering the lists with many questions and it
seems to have paid off. The beer is on me at WOS.

In summary, the car needs to have a push bar, some better or additional
hood fasteners, some additional fasteners on the deck lid and a mid seat
back brace. These were the only items that were recommendations; no
rules violations or corrections were noted. I will do these for sure
plus some other things: Get the fire bottles inspected by the local fire
extinguisher company, get my seat belts installed, practice the bail out...

I want to thank the SCTA organization for taking the time to do the
inspection and for having some inspectors who had my safety and well
being in mind as well as the rule book when they looked over the car. It
was a positive experience for me and a memorable one.

I re-made some old friendships, made some new ones. I hope I have made
amends with Dave Frieberger from HOT ROD and Keith and Tonya Turk. Ed
and Linda Van Scoy were there and I hadn't seen them is a couple of
years. And especially Glen Barret. Others whose name I have forgotten
please forgive me, it is not intentional, just old age.

SCTA, thanks for the experience.

mayf