re: originality

To: Tiger Group <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: originality
From: Rande Bellman <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:27:21 -0400
Theo.

This is probably going to be the only time you and I will disagree.

We both saw the Miles car at Big Sky shortly after Bo had finished his
no-shortcuts restoration of it, and it looked awesome, and maybe for
some too awesome.

But you only had to had seen it two years before at the Eureka United,
when it was trailered there as little more than an assembled junk pile,
a faded metallic green, and probably a few other modifications removed
from the time Ken Miles worked on it in the early 1960's. It went
throught several owners after Ian sold it originally, and they didn't
give a rats tail about maintaining or even keeping it original. My
understanding is that Bo Cheadle tried as well as he could to have the
car brought back to the conditon that it left Miles' garage, and I can
only thank Bo for doing that.

The Shelby prototype had a more  caring existance, because Bill Carroll
bought it shortly after Ian Garrad sold it off, and Carroll kept it in
its original form all these years, and at the same time maintained it.
Hats off to Bill.

As for cars like the 'Holman-Moody Tiger' or a 'Boss-engined Tiger', I
don't know enough about these cars to vouch for their status in the
Tiger history. I do know that Rootes  and the Harrington firm have a
very well documented shared history, and I have no problem comparing the
single Harrington Tiger with other historic cars like the Miles, Shelby,
Hollywood Sports Cars, Sports Car Forum cars. We should be celebrating
the fact that these cars are still with us.

The Shelby prototype was