Re: Pertronix

To: "Holt, Jeff" <jeff.holt@gs.com>
Subject: Re: Pertronix
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:43:31 -0700
Jeff,

I have had years of great performance from the Type I Pertronix, with an
Accell "points type" coil/resistor, with never any adjustment.

My Pertronix II, with the 50,000 volt Pertronix Flame-Thrower II coil
are still in their original boxes, so I can not give you personal
experience.

The Pertronix (I) required NO alteration to the tach. The Pertronix II
works in a similar manner, with higher capacity solid state switching,
would not expect any tach issues.  At most another turn around the tach
pick-up bar might be required.   Modernization kits, (complete solid
state rebuild) for poorly performing tachs are available from Theo Smit,
and another mod from Rob Guerra, now President of STOA.

The only issue I have heard of is the 50, 000 volts requires a new,
larger plug gap.  Probably near 0.050 in.   There was also some talk
about the larger ignition cap re-fit to the later design (a snap  ;-) ),
but may not be necessary with a good quality cap and wires.

The Pertronix II has variable dwell time corresponding to demand, a nice
feature.  Only experience to tell you the result.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com