RE: Known 'Black Hole Tigers"

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <CoolVT@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Known 'Black Hole Tigers"
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:53:44 -0600
So that's what it's for... When the Bendix on your starter hangs up, you
pull the plug, and whack the bellhousing with a big hammer.

:-)

B382002705 doesn't have that hole, but it did have two PO-inflicted access
holes for the block-to-bellhousing bolts, on the top and left sides of the
bellhousing hump, which is a not-uncommon modification, apparently. During a
recent excursion at the other end of the transmission hump I discovered that
the welds holding the transmission hump sheetmetal to the raised crosspiece
had failed, from the left-side floor (just behind the shifter mechanism
access hole) pretty much up to the top of the hump. While I don't think this
is a major structural concern, it's still indicative of flexing and
vibration in that area, and the failed welds caused a gap between the floor,
the access cover, and the trans tunnel, which would of course let in fumes,
noise, and heat from the tunnel.

Theo