RE: Engine Swap

To: <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Swap
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:00:04 -0600
McLeod has released a line of modular bellhousing components that will get
you from the engine to the transmission regardless of whether it's a narrow
or wide pattern Toploader.
<http://www.mcleodind.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=w3ezmenudriver&menuvalue=
38&currmenuid=WMM&src1=/catalog_htm/2003cat.htm&w3hostname=MCLEOD>

It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for... However, some careful
checking may be required to make sure that the adapter plates will all clear
the transmission hump at the upper rear face of the bellhousing to
transmission flange.

I have a Trans-Dapt bellhousing that is six-bolt engine on the front, and
narrow-pattern Toploader on the back. It was originally made to fit the
larger flywheel (as determined by the starter location) but I made and
installed an insert to allow the starter to bolt up for the 157 tooth
flywheel. The starter drive pocket is large enough that it interferes with
the transmission hump on the lower right. The choice there was to (re)move
part of the starter pocket, or the transmission hump. I did the latter, but
I've since then changed my mind and I'm most of the way into a T5
installation. That means the Trans-Dapt bellhousing is available to any and
all interested parties, but it's a project piece... I've had all the pieces
bolted together, but since I've never ran it, I can't vouch for
concentricity or other potential alignment issues.

Best regards,
Theo