Distributor Changeover Question

To: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor Changeover Question
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:32:15 -0700
I'd appreciate some advice as I haven't done this before and it looks
like an incorrect installation would cause bad things to happen to the
engine.

I'm going to take out my old Ford dual point, mechanical advance
distributor, which I had converted over to a Pertronix ignition years
ago. I'm going to install a rebuilt single point Ford distributor, with
vacuum advance, which I've also just switched over to a Pertronix
ignition module. I'm doing this to get the vacuum advance, and maybe
help the gas mileage a bit, etc.

The shop manual says to mark the distributor body and make a mark on the
engine, and match those marks up on re-installation, and do the same
with the rotor position. Since I'm changing distributors, I plan on
copying the mark positions from the old distributor to the new one.
However, since the new distributor has the vacuum canister, there's only
one way it will fit into the engine so the cannister doesn't hit
anything. It looks like the distributor body marking idea may not work
in this case.

Am I correct in assuming that the important part is to match up rotor
position from the old distributor to the new, and that the orientation
of the new distributor doesn't make the difference?

Any installation and r&r suggestions will be very helpful, as usual.

Steve Sage
MK1A with a 289.