Re: standing under the load

To: <AAAGLASSS@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: standing under the load
From: "Tony Someone" <tonythetiger@onecliq.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:17:04 -0500
Four studs, aluminum manifold + engine&  trans=Heli-Coil

AAA Glass - Ive pulled the engine out of  more than one Tiger and several
other vehicles and reinstalled them as well. The threads have never pulled
out and no helicoil has ever been needed. Im not an engineer but if one of
the members of the list who is, wanted to take the time to figure the
lifting ability of four threaded aluminum holes (1/4,5/16, 3/8 )with the
proper bolts torqued within tolerances, Im sure you would be shocked at the
lifting ability that you would have with no danger of losing the load. I
would go out on a limb and say I think you could use two bolts or studs on
opposite corners and still have lifting ability left over BUT I wouldnt do
so or reccomend anyone else to try. If you havent already pulled the threads
by over torquing the carb to the intake you wont have any problems lifting
the weight of a sbf engine and four speed. Now if the engine gets hung up,
thats another story.
Perhaps if you inspect the part Theo posted you might imangine the libility
the sellers and or the manufacture might encounter if the engine pulling
plate caused damage to intakes. I doubt they decided to make and sell the
part without knowing how much weight the intake, in good condition, would
withstand. Of course you can always bolt a chain to opposite corners of the
intake, using washers and longer bolts than removed and hope the chain has
no weak link and that only two bolts will hold the weight. Of course those
bolts do screw into cast iron and not aluminunm.
warmest regards, Tony