Re: Sleeving

To: david hall <dhhall@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Sleeving
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:04:02 -0800
David,

Sleeving, per se, is used to repair scored cylinder walls when light
polishing is no longer enough.  Many classic car owners use brass
sleeves in iron cylinders to have a greater thermal coefficient of
expansion, and not get loose when hot.  Aluminum cylinders have even
more expansion, and brass would be preferable to stainless to keep the
liner in contact with the bore as temperature rises.

Sure, stainless sounds more advanced, but the professional rebuilders
recommend brass, for this reason.

I have had three servos rebuilt.  Each one of them failed on the seal
between the shaft to the vacuum piston and the wall it passes through.
This allows the familiar problem of loosing fluid, which is NOT a
cylinder bore issue, into the servo canister.  It sloshes pretty good.

I found Smitty, in San Diego, to be knowledgeable, with a few tricks on
that seal, and well priced. (619) 233-7937.

He doesn't have an answering machine, and sometimes he can't hear the
phone over the machinery -- so let it ring around 8-10 times and try
back frequently.

He also is not on the List, or the Internet.  But he sure knows Sunbeams.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com