Valve covers - trials and tribulations - how I spent my

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve covers - trials and tribulations - how I spent my
From: "David and Varley Tweddle" <wopdft@tpg.com.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:41:50 +0800
Hi Sunbeamers,

Well I finally got around to fitting a Derale flex fan and my Sunbeam
Specialities alloy valve covers on the weekend (all weekend!).

First up the fan hit the steering rack....I'd been warned about old/soft
engine mounts....so I bought some new mounts when I purchased the fan (just
in case). I duly fitted them, then the fan only hit (just) the bottom of the
shroud, top rad hose and harmonic balancer etc....alll fixed with many
skinned knuckles (I seemed to develop a nervous twitch around this time??)
.THEN

...time for the valve covers (complete with Buddy stamp on RH cover). Boy
are they a tight fit with nice new engine mounts....I had to undo and lower
engine to get them on (and have rear rocker arm fully open on No 8).

Of course I have roller tipped rockers so now these were fouling the rocker
covers.....time to lower engine (again), remove covers and try two
gaskets...still no luck....I'm off this morning to buy some rubber/steel
core valve cover gaskets and hopefully this will work. Im getting pretty
good at removing bolts and lowering engine but not so good at raising and
reinstalling bolts....but getting better all the time.

When all this is done I'm going to have beer, a hot sauna to free up seized
back, some strong anti inflammatories and then lock away tool box until next
year.

Hopefully my nervous twitches will be gone shortly.

Still getting older and only a little wiser (time spent so far on this
project 16 hours and counting)............

Cheers
David (retired)
from hot and sunny Perth, West Australia