Re: Unleaded Fuel...

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Unleaded Fuel...
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:33:01 -0700
CoolVT@aol.com wrote:

>Peter,
>Your  Tiger, originally, would not have hardened valve seats.................

My Tiger with its 289 does have hardened seats so I don't know for sure
if that would be an issue for a Tiger. However, it definitely was for my
last Series V Alpine. I had the engine rebuilt and went on the same
theory that unless the car had hard usage, the valve seat thing wouldn't
matter. That being said, that was my everyday car and it saw a lot of
use (10-20,000 miles a year), using unleaded premium. A few months after
the rebuild I noticed the valves started needing frequent adjusting. The
motor ended up blowing up a couple of months later (for an unrelated
cause). When it was opened up for another rebuild, the valve seats
turned out to be badly worn through (if that's the correct term) by the
valves. Hardened seats were installed and I did at least another 50,000
miles with that car and engine before I sold it when I bought my current
Tiger. It ran perfectly and the valve adjustment stayed pretty much
exactly where it had been after the initial adjustment after the
re-build run in, up to when I sold it. I talked to the buyer a couple of
years later and the car (and the engine) were still running strong.

Steve Sage