Re: Hillman Husky

To: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net, alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hillman Husky
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:42:18 EST
Rick,
       I searched for years and finally found my Husky in Portland, Oregon.
It is rust-free and I updated it to Series 6 Minx running gear, which bolts
right in.

       It now has front disk brakes that are at least as good (same size) as
Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger ... to do that, I unbolted the original front
suspension and bolted in the 'new' one.  Although the rotors are different, the
front
calipers are basically the same as MGB.  Great brakes and no vacuum booster!

       I changed the rear axle (complete unit) from a 4.55:1 ratio to a
3.89:1.  That also gained 9" rear drum brakes rather than keeping the 8" dum
brakes.  The engine was a 1390cc and now is a 1725cc (same block as Alpine 5)
and it
has a full synchro tranny rather than its original with a growley square-cut
first gear.

       (I think) Rootes cars are more rugged than BMCs including Morris and
mechanically, they are straight-forward and quite simple to work on.  Parts are
cheap compared to Japanese cars.  Finding 'correct' rubber weather-stripping
may be a challenge.  Finding a good body is at least as hard a challenge.

       The Hillman Group is without question, the best place to ask about
finding a good body to work from.  It is a Yahoo Group and to gain access, you
need to create a Yahoo e-mail address and "ask" to join the Group.  Its free.
Click here: HillmanCars : A group for the discussion of Rootes cars generally
and Hillman cars specifically

       The people on the Hillman Group are VERY motivated and quite likely,
they will find you a car before you know it.  Merry Christmas!

Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger Club     Seattle