Gas Mileage

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas Mileage
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 09:44:35 EST
Since there has been a lot of talk about gas mileage, I'm giving you this
information just as a point of reference.
On a trip from Detroit to the TE/AE United in upper New York last  summer, my
Tiger got 21 mpg at a nominal 72 mph and 2000 rpm. There were  two of us
adults in the car and the top was down. The car has a;
    *   Ford 340 crate engine with 4000 miles
    *   T-5 Transmission with a .67 overdrive ratio
    *   2.83 final drive ratio
    *   220 X 55 X 390 tires at 35 cold psi
    *   front alignment with zero chamber and 1/8" toe
    *   600 cfm Holley with "65" main jets and 6.5 psi power valve
    *   4 to 4 1/2 psi regulated fuel pressure
    *   Edelbrock Performer intake
    *   K&N air filter
    *   headers with 2" pipes and inexpensive Walker "Turbo" mufflers
    *   modified 60's Ford vacuum advance distributor
    *   Pertronics Ignition
    *   minimal drag rear disk brakes
    *   cruise control
    *   usually 94 octane real gasoline, sometimes 89
    *   Lower air dam
    *   Accurate speedometer
Since the mileage is very sensitive to fuel level, pressure, and  the
distributor advance curve, I lot of time was spent in setting them.

          John  L