Re: CORRECT TYPE WATER PUMP??

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CORRECT TYPE WATER PUMP??
From: "Tony Someone" <tonythetiger@onecliq.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:21:54 -0600
LIST- I was recently reading the CAT  Shop Notes, supplement 2. I ran across
it while looking for something else and decided to reread it since it had
been long enough I had forgotten much of the information.

In the section about water pump impelers an article gave the part number for
an impeller with 6 curved vanes and goes on to say;"The theory is that the 6
curved vanes create a partial vacuum to produce a slow, even water flow
through the block. Slow flow, of course, means high heat transfer and a
cooler running Tiger."

The night prior to finding the shop notes I was rereading the Jan of 2005
issue of Mustangs and fords. There was a section of 25 low dollar, high
performance, restomod tips. One of the tips was an aftermarket water pump.
The statement went on to say that high performance engines need a high flow
water pump for adeaquate coolant circulation.It went on to say when buying a
radiator to be sure to shop for a high flow pump and the approiate
thermostat. To contact Weiand or Edelbrock for a high flow pump.

I admitt to being blonde, even big and blonde but I also think the blonde
jokes are made up about bleech blondes, that might be my first mistake so
how about some thoughts from a few of our non blonde members who have
knowledge about which pump is really right for a Tiger. I agree that the
thought of the coolant going a bit slower, it would have time to get hotter
and transfer more heat but it also makes sense that the quicker the coolant
travels thru the syestem (the thermostat would come into play here) the
faster heat is taken to the radiator. Kind of a catch 22. It might be that a
slower flow would be better for a stock engine but with so many horsepower
available it is hard to want to run a stock engine,(dam BMW drivers) so with
a stroker engine or even a well built engine capable of 300 plus hp w/out
being stroked, is a fast flow a better deal or should a Tiger have the 6
vane impeller for a slower flow.Opinions are welcome, real knowledege is
really welcome. Cheers, TTT