Re: To Dip or Not to Dip

To: Curt <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Subject: Re: To Dip or Not to Dip
From: Larry Paulick <lpaulick@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:30:11 -0500
I had my car media blasted, and another owner in the area has his
dipped.  Same body man on both cars.

There are plus and minus to both, but the  most important thing is the
person doing it as usual.

So if low rust, I would go with media blasting, and blowing out the
media, multiple time, as it will come up when you paint.

If heavy rust, then dipping by someone who knows what they are doing is
a good process.

Most owner who do either process, are so surprised at all the Swiss
Cheese holes in the usual places.  This is good, as it shows where to
replace metal, and not use bondo.

I have a personal opinion on under coating, as I believe it is a good
way to hide rust and damage, it the owner selling it wants to make it
look good.  The other item is if rust or structural damage occurs later,
i.e. the front portion of the rear spring mounts, painting, without
under coating lets you see what's happening.

A good urethane primer on bare metal and good paint will protect the
underside for a long time, and I personally like the looks of the same
color on the bottom.

Larry