Re: Removing steering u-joint

To: "Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>, "Tiger List"
Subject: Re: Removing steering u-joint
From: 65Tiger@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 02:43:53 +0000
I went back and re-examined my parts.  The lower parts were not as 'perfect' as
the upper parts, there was more wear.  And some of that wear resulted in minor
deformations in the yokes.  These deformations create pressure on the caps and
extracting them by 'tapping' suggested by the manual is useless.
These parts have been together for 40 years.  I began applying Liquid Wrench on
all the caps and circlips.  I let this soak 24 hours.  I think this helped
some.  Using a smaller socket and larger socket, I was able to push one cap out
far enough to grasp, wiggle and lift the cap.  I used a pin made from a nail
inserted though the hollow journal to push off the remaining cap.  The process
is repeated for all three u-joints.  The next step is to clean up the yokes to
accept the new u-joints.
Thanks for the suggestions,
Curtis
From: "Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>