Pulley Measurements...and a sad tale of woe

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pulley Measurements...and a sad tale of woe
From: "Arnie Sugar" <ASugar@hwageo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:05:14 -0700
If you're changing the hub spacing on a new water pump, here's a handy
tip.  Don't pull the hub off and machine it, as suggested by some.
There is enough room to press it back on the shaft to the correct
spacing ONCE (at least on the cast iron pump, aluminum HiPo pump, and
Edelbrock HiPo pump I've done).  Why the new pump you ask?  Well, the
hub on my old one (which was removed for machining and reinstalled by a
numbskull engine builder who shall remain nameless) flew off and augured
into the radiator, complete with fan.  I had to use a tire iron to dig
the assembly out of the radiator core, it was pretty ugly.  The irony is
it was already at the correct length.  The repeated pressing must have
loosened the fit.  I was steaming long after the car stopped.

I was pleased to find the Derale 15" stainless steel flex fan, which was
previously reported as discontinued, is still available through Summit.
This is an awesome fan, flat at the front, a good fit in the stock
shroud, with a little trimming at the blade tips to clear the rack.  It
moves a ton of air at idle, but flattens out at high RPM.  The part
number is 17015.  Its also quite sturdy, and will core through at least
an inch of copper tubing and cooling fins.

Arnie Sugar