Washer Bottle Question

To: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Washer Bottle Question
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:16:45 -0700
Hello Tiger Fans:
I just got my Rootes logo washer bottle I bought on Ebay today. It's in
great condition but has that kind of "bronze" discoloration that they
seem to get after all these years. Has anyone come up with a way to
clean the bottle up so it is closer to the original, more white color?

I'm going to put my "new" Rootes bottle in the stock bracket and move my
old Tudor logo water bottle to just in front of the stock radiator
header tank, and convert it to an overflow, re-fill bottle. I've got an
ugly aftermarket overflow tank there now that doesn't look good, plus
it's jammed in so tight that to get to wiring, etc. in that corner I
have to pull both the stock header and aftermarket tanks. A real pain. I
think I read somewhere that someone else on the list has done the same
thing I'm thinking of. Any tips on plumbing the Tudor bottle for that?

By the way, for anyone interested, I had the Tiger's hood louvered a
couple of months ago. Two short 9 " rows of 2 1/2 " louvers. I know
there's been a lot of discussion through the years as to whether louvers
do any good at lowering underhood, and water, temperatures. My
unscientific result is that it has made a noticeable difference for the
better in my car. It's been between 100 and 110 every day here (southern
Arizona) for the last two weeks. Last summer, with nothing else changed
since then, with my Tiger AC running and bopping down the highway, water
temps were usually 210-220 or slightly above and the AC never really
cooled things down like a modern car. Today it was about 105 out and I
went for a 50 mile freeway drive. Water temp. was a bit under 190. That
20-30 degree lower water temperature allows the AC to run much colder
and make the interior nice and cool. The transmission tunnel feels a lot
cooler (or maybe noticeably less hot is a better way to put it) and
everything seems to work better. A definite change with the louvers is
that if I'm in stop and go for a few minutes the temp can get up over
210, but within 5 minutes of starting to move again (not even that
fast), water temp. comes back down to 190. Before, it just stayed up
where it was.

Steve Sage