Re: Thoughts on undercoating a Tiger (removal)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on undercoating a Tiger (removal)
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 10:00:50 -0700
Bob,

  I used a propane torch and a standard scrapper or wire brush (in the tight
areas). I heated it until it softened, then it scrapped of - in most areas.
Strangely there were a few areas where it was significantly harder to
remove. It didn't take too much heat, but it cooled and hardened quite
rapidly so it was a process of the torch leading the scrapper. Mind you,
this was done with the car on jackstands, gravity in full effect and a
"souvenir" sweat shirt with significant burn marks. Now, if your going all
the way and removing the paint (including the pink-ish / red primer)
well..., that's what separates the men from the boys! As a final note, I
recommend using those stubby camping style propane tanks. They are far less
prone to falling over. There were times (given the limits of my jackstands)
where a regular long tank barely had enough room. I painted EVERYTHING
(including the inside of the inner sills) with POR-15. While it seems OK for
areas that see no abrasion I have my doubts about it holding up any better
than regular paint and undercoat. At least from my experience it's not the
"Powdercoat in a Can" they claim it to be.
Tom Witt

So, how does one remove the undercoating?  Chemical, media blasting,