Re: Electric fuel pump safety

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electric fuel pump safety
From: "Tiger man" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:36:18 -0600
> The only problem with the oil pressure switch is that the fuel pump
> doesn't come on until the oil pressure is up.  Then it starts to fill
> the bowl.  This means you have to crank longer before the engine starts.

I had a 70's era car that had the oil pressure switch that powered the fuel
pump go out, and that is when I discovered there was another circuit that
powered it when you turned the key to start.  Of course the failure I
mentioned left me with a weird condition that the car would start and run
about 30 seconds before died again.

So if anyone is considering a oil pressure controlled fuel pump, you may
want to add the additional circuit that powers the pump when the key is in
the start position.  I'm not sure how the factory managed it, but I imagine
that a diode might be needed so that you didn't have current flowing back to
your start ignition circuit when the oil pressure switch kicks in.

Thanks,
Steve