Re: valve cover bolt

To: "Tiger Email List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: valve cover bolt
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 09:51:25 -0700
List friends,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to saw a cheap 1/4 inch socket in half
and that did the trick. I do like the idea to get a girlfriend (or wife or
daughter) with small fingers. but can't seem to sell the idea.

The left side cast valve cover won't come out without dropping the rear of the
powertrain (I'm guessing the stamped steel covers do not have this problem) .
So do I need to disconnect the headers and shift linkage to get enough travel
or is it ok to leave those in place ?

Secondary question regarding valve adjustment. The workshop manual says
tighten the rocker nut until the pushrod is just contacted and tighten 2 turns
further. Given this procedure, the valves on my car are definitely loose,
since many rockers have slight lash with the lifters bled down. I'm reluctant
to overtighten the valves, so before I do this, what's the consensus on
whether this is needed?