RE: Alternators

To: "'Bob Hokanson'" <tgrrr@peoplepc.com>,
Subject: RE: Alternators
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:02:48 -0600
Here's a Toyota alternator in a Tiger:
http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/alternator.html

Newer alternators as shown in Bob's article are a little bit more compact
than the 1980 vintage one I used, so you will be able to mount the
alternator closer in. I got one of the newer style ones from a Mitsubishi (I
think - most of the Japanese manufacturers use Denso electrical components)
and I've looked at it a little to see where it would best fit, but haven't
committed to anything on that one yet.

The big trick would be to find an alternator that is shallow enough to mount
in front of the right cylinder head... The Denso one is close but as far as
I remember not quite there. On the left side there is about 3/4" more
clearance because the head is further back. This makes it easier to do a
very compact installation except that the steering shaft has to be
accommodated.

Good points on the one wire vs. 3 wire alternator hookups too. I don't know
about the relative availability of alternators... On Toyota alternators the
typical service interval is about 100,000 miles, which is when you have to
replace the brushes.

Best regards,
Theo