window regulator winder question

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: window regulator winder question
From: "Peter Laurinaitis" <laurin212@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 03:26:13 -0400
I want to confirm what in fact is broken here, my window winding shaft just
spins freely...   I've disassembled the regulator...

Part of the window regulator mechanism is a shaft that connects to the handle
that one grasps when the window is cranked up and down, the other end of this
shaft is a small 3/4" gear that drives the large crescent gear.  This gear
resides in a small 2" housing held onto the regulator by 3 rivets.  It seems
(but I want to confirm) that the shaft must be permanently fixed to a small
"basket" or "cup" that will rotate against a spring in the housing, and then
the "basket" strikes against another half-basket that has the small drive gear
attached, which then drives the large crescent gear.  So the small gear itself
spins freely on the shaft.  It seems the shaft has seperated from the basket,
but i am guessing it needs to be welded back together (?).

I have no idea why such a simple part was designed so complex, and hopefully
what i have tried to explain will make sense to someone that has rebuilt one
of these.  I'd look at the other door, but to see the small gear, one has to
grind off the rivets to get inside the housing, which i prefer no to do.  I
ordered the rebuild kit from SS, but it only includes the small gear, and the
large crescent gear, and the small gear housing, but NO shaft or other parts.

Also, does someone know of a reference source that may document rebuilding
this component of the window regulator.

Thanks!
Peter