Re: Off to World of Speed

To: Bill Mohr <bill.mohr@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Off to World of Speed
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:35:40 -0700
Bill, all. It was a great meet for me! Many objectives were met: like
will the tranny shift or not? Will I go faster than before? Will I have
a good time? Will the lap top run well enough to get tuniong data? The
answer to all is a resounding YES! On the first day we could race, after
the driver's meeting, we got in line, a really short line by the way,
suited up, turned the laptop on and lifted off. Nice run but I could not
count. I thought the tranny shifted 3 times after I had placed it into
drive which would have put me into over drive and off my dream wheel
speed/rpm chart. During licensing runs you need to make the speeds they
tell you to make. So I thought I was in OD and let the rpm sag to what I
thought might be the necessary speed. Nope, was in 3rd all olong and I
turned a 147 and change. But It was faster than speed week and the
tranny actually shifter very well!. Let it cool off and fiddled a bit
with some things. Looked at the data log for rpm and saw that it really
shifted as it was supposed to shift so headed back out  and got back in
line. This time I made the run at 158.96 mph through the 1st mile and
was really happy with that. This was all on Wednesday. Thursday, I
didn't feel to perky most of the day so fiddled around with the computer
trying to figure out the air flow. Man it was pig rich the entire time
on the runs I  made Weds. But hardly anything breaks when that happens.
My dipstick came unlocked on the 158 run and a bit of oil got sucked
through the crankcase evac system and made lots of smoke so I had some
visitors on the shutdown end. Wasn't anything but was glad they were
there to take care of me had something been wrong for real.  So I fixed
that and later Thursday afternoon felt good enough to go get in line
late in the afternoon.. Holey smokes...got near the front and there was
enough wind to blow the hair completely off your head!. And across
course. Waited there a while to see if it would abate. Had a few drops
of rain so I pilled back to the trailer. Drove down to see if anyone
could run and not much goiong on. Later there was a few 150 cars down
the course but few Bonneville cars. Dave from Durango made it to the 150
club as I recall with his turbo'd Miata. Way to GO DAVE! I went down to
the 4 mile marker to watch Jack's 5050 make a run. Really cool! Bike is
so small it just looks like a line moving on the salt. Made a 152+ run.
He went to impound as Wes has stated but other cars and bikes were told
to go make their record runs Thursday rather than waiting for Friday
morning. Becasue of threatening weather, I decided to put the car in the
trailer...really easy to do with a hundred people helping, but with
three or four pushing, not bad either. Tied everthing down, locked up
and left for the hotel. Before I coul dget out of th sshower.it was
coming a frog strangler. Went out to the truck stop to have supper with
MArcello and it was really raining. Figured it was gonna be a washout.
Lots of water on the salt. Packed up came home.

Special mentions: the Burklands came by and chatted a bit, gave me some
advice I cherish..."stand on it"... Made many new friends from across
the pond: another magazine want to do an article about the car (English
mag). I met so many people I am not gonna remember most of them! So
thanks to all who came by for a chat, I enjoyed every minute of it!

more later as I unwind...just got in the door...

happy as a clam

mayf