Re: heater valves

To: mmichels@socal.rr.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: heater valves
From: Peter Laurinaitis <laurin212@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:22:51 -0700 (PDT)
you are in luck, the mark 1 valve is carried by sunbeam specialties.  the mark
1a valve is carried by moss motors under an mg part number, and it is an almost
exact replica of the sunbeam one. (even though people are selling them on ebay
for triple that, i suspect they are just buying them off moss and reselling
them).  i have heard these are super rare, and have purchased one for $100 off
ebay for the mark 1a (the rarer one), another off ebay for $100 for a true NOS,
and then found out the cross ref number for the one from moss and ordered it
for $45.  so i spend a chunk of change for several of them, but now know where
to get the cheap.  i dont have the part number with me, but will look it up
tonight at home.

peter

--- mmichels@socal.rr.com wrote:

> Dear List inhabitants:
>
> The various parts sources indicate that the heater valve for Mk  1 and
> Mk 1A are different, that the Mk1A valve is no longer available and
> that a potential substituted is a valve from a 78-80 Honda Civic.
> Checking the local Honda dealer confirms that Honda no longer supplies
> this part. He gave me a dismantler referral, but certainly a junkyard
> valve is pretty old and questionable even if it turns up.
>
> My questions:
>
> What is it about a Mk 1 valve that won't work on a Mk 1A? The heater
> layouts seem identical.
>
> Does anybody have any other valve substitutes in case I can't locate a
> serviceable Honda item?

Peter Laurinaitis
peter.laurinaitis.wg02@wharton.upenn.edu