RE: yanking the engine out

To: "'Peter Laurinaitis'" <laurin212@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: yanking the engine out
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:50:03 -0400
Peter
        Dropping the engine and transmission out the bottom is almost a one
man job.   I used a cherry picker to lower the engine onto a short dolly and
it just happened that a friend stopped by then and we pick the front end of
the car up and over the engine; rolled the car back on the rear wheels and
set it down on jacks.   I could have probably managed all of this myself
with just the cherry picker and the jacks but a little help makes it easier.

        Taking the engine out the top requires that the car be up on stands
so the transmission can clear the ground and the car.   You need a picker
with enough travel to pull the engine out and clear; this is the impression
I get from looking at the pictures in the Shop Manual.   I think a chain
fall might be a better option here.

I think going down is the easiest method.

Ron Fraser